Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Helping hand from the Chimps/Un coup de main des chimpanzés

Binky by: Gloria Grow

Last week after cleaning we realized we lost a squeegee!! And that can only mean one thing, the chimps have it in their play area and depending on the individuals that are there, if we're lucky we may get it back intact. I found it hanging off the top platform in one of the back play areas with Binky sitting under it; patiently waiting to see who would come and try to retrieve it. He kindly took it off the top for me and put it on the floor slowly, stuck it under the caging and waited for me to take it. He had a huge play face on and was jumping and smacking his hands on the ground to play with me and the squeegee of course. As soon as I asked him to have it he took off running with it and dropped it in the back corner and came back to play. It was almost as if to say.--- if the squeegee is not there then she will stop asking me for it and play with me instead---so I played a game of chase with the Bub until he had his fill, then asked him for my squeegee again, but he was no longer interested by then...Spock and Jethro were with Binky and I new that Spock would gladly get my tool for me so I called my co-workers over so they could witness the very sweet Spock retrieve it for me. Because of his training at the Quebec City Zoo, Spock literally understands almost everything we say to him in French, even very specific items he will hand back to us if requested. Spock knew what I was asking for, because, he had been listening from the front rooms the whole time. He then popped his head out of the bottom play area door with an apple in hand, looked at me, walked over to the squeegee, picked it up and brought it right over to where Binky, Jethro and I were sitting. All three boys were seriously trying to figure out how to get it under the caging without breaking it. It worked; we got it out and you could see that the boys were quite proud of themselves for helping out...Team work!


Jethro by/par : Frank Noelker


La semaine dernière, à la fin de la journée de nettoyage, il manquait un «squeegee»! Ce qui voulait dire qu'un des chimpanzés s'en était emparé dans l'aire de jeu et que nos chances de le récupérer dépendaient de qui s'y trouvait à ce moment-là. Je l'ai repéré, suspendu à la plate-forme du haut, avec Binky assis juste en-dessous et attendant patiemment de voir qui viendrait le reprendre. Il eut la gentillesse de le déposer sur le sol lentement puis de le glisser sous le grillage pour que je puisse le prendre. Il avait un air espiègle et plein d'anticipation à l'idée que nous allions nous amuser avec le dit «squeegee», il sautait partout et donnait de grands coups sur le sol. Évidemment, dès que je lui ai demandé de me le donner, il s'est enfui avec, l'a laissé tomber dans un coin à l'écart et est revenu vers moi pour jouer. C'est comme s'il s'était dit: si le «squeegee» n'est pas là, elle va arrêter de me le demander et elle va jouer avec moi. Alors on a joué à se pourchasser jusqu'à ce qu'il en ait assez, puis je le lui ai redemandé. Mais il avait perdu tout intérêt. Comme Spock et Jethro étaient avec Binky ce moment-là, et sachant que mon cher Spock se ferait un plaisir de me rendre service, j'ai fait venir mes collègues pour qu'elles le voient à l'oeuvre. Spock a vécu au Jardin zoologique de la Ville de Québec et il comprend presque tout ce qu'on lui dit en français, même lorsqu'on utilise des termes très précis. Ayant assisté à la scène avec Binky, il savait ce que je voulais. Quand il est apparu dans l'embrasure de la porte, une pomme à la main, il m'a regardée, s'est dirigé vers le «squeegee», l'a pris et l'a ramené là où j'étais assise avec Binky et Jethro. Les trois compagnons se sont ensuite affairés pendant un moment à trouver une façon de le passer sous le grillage sans le briser. Cela a marché! Et il fallait voir à quel point ils étaient fiers de leur travail d'équipe...


Spock by/par : Sharon Stewart

No comments: